ESTROGEN AND PROGESTERON RECEPTORS
IN PARATESTICULAR TISSUES IN CRYPTORCHID BOYS.
Article published in Urologia Polska 1999/52/4.
Przemysław Przewratil, Józef Kobos, Jerzy Niedzielski
- Klinika Chirurgii i Onkologii Dziecięcej IP AM w Łodzi
Kierownik: dr n. med. J. Niedzielski
Pracownia Patomorfologii Instytutu Pediatrii AM w Łodzi
Kierownik: dr hab. med. J. Kobos
testis cryptorchidism estrogen and progesteron receptors
- Cryptorchidism is the serious developmental disorder which point is stop
- the testis on its way of descent to the scrotum. 2-8% of all male newborns are
- afected with this defect. It re±uires early hormonal therapy or/and surgery.
- Mechanism of maldescent is still not well recognized. There are two probable
- pathologic mechanisms: anatomical and hormonal. Second one is based on
- disruptions in the hypothalamus-pituyitary-testis axis. There are many data
- on the role of androgens in testicular descent but the role of estrogens in this
- process is not well known. The aim of this study is to explain the role of estrogens
- and progesteron and their tissular receptors in pathogenesis of cryptorchidism.
- Material and method. 19 patients (48 specimens) with unilateral crypto-
- rchidism, aged from 2 to 8 years were analysed. In all cases during the orchi-
- dopexy, specimens of gubernaculum, cremaster muscle and processus vaginalis
- were taken. 17 boys (25 specimens), aged from 1 to 6 years, operated on due
- to inquinal hernia, with testes in scrotum formed control group. Histo-
- pathological specimens normaly prepared were stained with hematoxyline
- and eosine (H+E) and tested immunohistochemicaly in LSAB detecting system,
- according to immunoperoxidase method. Monoclonal mice antybody against
- Estrogen Receptor (ER) and Progesterone Receptor (PR) was used. Histo-
- pathological structure and then receptor immunoreactivity was assessed in
- each specimen.
- Results. Cryptorchid group - ER was detected in 9 (fraction 0.6) cases
- and PR in 7 (fraction 0.47) cases of 15 gubernaculum specimens. ER was detected
- in 18 (fraction 0.95) cases and PR in 14 (fraction 0.74) cases of 19 cremaster
- specimens. ER was detected in 11 (fraction 0.79) cases and PR in 6 (fraction
- 0.43) of 14 processus vaginalis specimens. Control group - ER and PR were not
- detected in any of 10 cremaster specimens. ER was found only in 2 (fraction
- 0.13) cases and PR in 1 cases (fraction 0.07) of 15 processus vaginalis specimens.
- In both cases there were single cells with receptor immunoreactivity. According
- to these results it is clear that estrogen and progesteron receptors are present
- in most cases in cremaster and processus vaginalis of cryptorchid children. In
- control group this expression was not found. In gubernaculum hormonal
- receptors are also present but in lesser degree.
- Conclusion. Except of androgen effect there is probable significant
- correlation between disruptions in estrogen regulation, expressed in tissues
- receptors, and testicular maldescent. Obtained results can be a proof of fetal
- exposition to estrogens in tested patients.
-  Bjerklund Johansen, T. E., Klein, H.: Evidence of androgen receptivity
- in the pathway of testicular descent i humans. Eur. Urol. 1993,23,466-468.
-  Bjerklund, Johansen, T. E., Blom, G. P.: Histological studies of gubernaculum
- testis taken during orchiopexies. Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol. 1998,22,107-108.
-  Damber, J-E., Bergh, A., Selstam, G., Sodergard, R.: Estrogen receptor
- and aromatase actwity in the testes of unilateral cryptorchid rat. Arch. Androl.
- 1983, 11, 259-263.
-  Donaldson, K. M., Tong, S. Y. C, Washburn, T., Lubahn, D. B., Eddy,
- E. M., Hutson, J. M., Korach, K.: Morphometric study of the gubernaculum in
- male estrogen receptor mutant mice. J. Androl. 1996,17,91-94.
-  Hadziselimovic, F., Herzog, B.: Cryptorchidism. Ped. Surg. Int. 1987,2,185-
-  Hartwig,. W.: Endokrynologia praktyczna. PZWL Warszawa 1989, 314-316.
-  Hess, R. A., Bunick, D., Lee, K., Bahr, I., Taylor, J. A., Korach, K. S.,
- Lubahn, D. B.: A role for oestrogen in the male reproductive system. Nature 1997,
- 390, 509-512.
-  Hsu, S. M., Raine, L., Fanger, H.: Use of avidin-biotin-peroxidase complex
- (ABC) in immunoperoxidase techniques: a Comparison between ABC and unlabeled
- antibody (PAP) procedures. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 1981, 29,577-580.
-  Husmann, D. A., Mc Phaul, M. ].: Localization of the androgen receptor in the
- developing rat gubernaculum. Endocrinol. 1991,128, 383-387.
-  Hutson, J. M., Watts, L. M., Montalto, J., Greco, S.: Both gonadotrophin and
- testosterone fail to reverse oestrogen-induced cryptorchidism infetal mice: further
- evidencefor non-androgenic control of testicular descent in thefetus. Pediatr. Surg.
- Int. 1990, 5,13-18.
-  Kohler, R: Clinical endocrynology. John Wiley & Sons. 1986,275-276.
-  Kuiper, G. G. J. M., Lemmen, J. G., Carlson, B., Corton, J. C., Safe, S. H.,
- van der Saag, RT., van der Burg, B., Gustafsson, J.: Interacion of estrogenie
- chemicals and phytoestrogens with estrogen receptor p. Endocrinol. 1998,139,4252-
-  Lein, M., Fahlenkamp, D., Schonberger, B., Prollius, S., Loening, S.: The
- farmacological effect of the gonadotrophin-realising hormone on experimental
- cryptorchidism in rats. Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol. 1996,30,185-192.
-  Levy, J. B., Husmann, D. A. :The hormonal control of testicular descent. J. Androl.
- 1995, 16, 459-462.
-  Otulakowski, B., Limanowski, A., Miskowiak, B.: Badanie wpływu
- okołourodzeniowej estrogenizacji na stan morfologiczno-czynno¶ciowy gruczołów
- płciowych dodatkowych u samca szczura. Urol. Pol. 1998, 51,419-429.
-  Poradowska, W., red.: Chirurgia uńeku dziecięcego. Wybrane zagadnienia. PZWL,
- Warszawa, 1992, 691-709.
-  Rosenfeld, C. S.; Ganjam, V. K., Taylor, J.A., Yuan, X., Stiehr, J. R., Hardy,
- M. R, Lubahn, D. B.: Transcńption and translation of estrogen receptor-fi in the
- makr reproductwe tract of estrogen rcceptor-a knock-out and wilde-type mice.
- Endocrinol. 1998, 139, 2982-2987.
-  Saunders, P. T. K., Maguire, S. M., Millar, M. R.: Expression of oestrogen
- receptor beta (ER?) in multiple rat tissues visualized by immunohistochemistry.
- J. Endocrinol. 1997,154, R13-R16.
-  Sharpe, R.M., Skakkebaek, N.E.: Are oestrogens irwohed in falling sperm counts
- and disorders of the male reproductwe tract? Lancet. 1993, 341,1392-1395.
-  Sonnenschein, C, Soto, A. M., Fernandez, M. F., Olea, N., Olea-Serrano,
- M. F., Ruiz-Lopez, M. D.: Development of marker of estrogenie exposure in human
- serum. Clin. Chem. 1995, 41,1888-1895.