Primary chondrocyte culture in medium supplemented with autologous serum. Applicability in endoscopic treatment of vesico-ureteral reflux
Article published in Urologia Polska 2004/57/2.
Tomasz Drewa 1,2, Zbigniew Wolski 1, Przemysław Gałązka 2, Artur Czaplewski 2, Alina Woźniak 2, Jan Sir 3
- 1 Katedra i Klinika Urologii Akademii Medycznej w Bydgoszczy
Kierownik kliniki: prof. dr hab. Zbigniew Wolski
2 Katedra i Zakład Biologii Medycznej Akademii Medycznej
Kierownik zakładu: prof. dr hab. Gerard Drewa
3 Zakład Patologii Nowotworów, Regionalne Centrum Onkologii w Bydgoszczy
Kierownik zakładu: lek. med. Jan Sir
autologous serum, chondrocytes transplantation, vesico-ureteral reflux
- Transplanted autologous chondrocytes (ACT) can be used in endoscopic treatment of vesico-ureteral reflux. Fetal bovine serum (FBS) is still a gold standard for media supplementation in many laboratories. Prion and virus diseases are a danger for patients treated with ACT if fetal bovine serum FBS is used.
- The aim of this study was to establish the utility of media for chondrocytes culture supplemented with Autologous Serum (AS) or serum substitute Ultroser G (UG) instead of FBS.
- material and methods
- Cartilage specimens were obtained form knee joints of 5 young rabbits and digested during 10 hours with collagenase II and hyaluronidase. Autologous rabbit serum (AS) was prepared. Ham`s F-12 medium was supplemented with 10% (v/v) of FBS (Sigma) or 10% (v/v) AS. Ultroser G (UG, Gibco) was added in concentration of 2% (v/v). After 14 days living cells were counted using trypan blue.
- It was not possible to obtain primary chondrocytes cultures using medium supplemented with Ultroser G. The mean total number of cells in primary cultures supplemented with 10% FBS was 5,81x106 while mean number of cells growing in medium with 10% AS was 7,27x106. Medium supplemented with AS in concentration of 10% shown the best proliferation effect on chondrocytes cultures (PRCC). There were no differences in cells morphology between cells growing in medium supplemented with 10% FBS and 10% AS.
- Our preliminary results confirm the possibility of using autologous serum (AS) for establishing the primary chondrocytes cultures.