Katarzyna Radomska, Adrianna Majewska, Zbigniew Jankowski, Jerzy Niedzielski
- Klinika Chirurgii i Onkologii Dziecięcej IPAM w Łodzi
Kierownik kliniki: dr n. med. J. Niedzielski
testis acute scrotum children torsion of the testis torsion of the testis appendix surgery
- Objective. The aim of the study was to prove that symptoms of acute
- scrotum (AS) in children should be considered as an indication for surgery.
- Material and method. The causes and ways of treatment of AS in 368 boys,
- aged from 5 days to 15 years, hospitalized in the Department of Pediatric
- Surgery and Oncology of the Institute of Paediatrics of ŁódĽ University School
- of Medicine between 1985 and 1997 were analysed.
- Results. Torsion of the testis" appendbc was found in 53.5% of cases, torsion
- of the testis in 13.3%, epididymo-orchitis in 26.1%, and other causes of AS in
- 11.1%. An anamnesis revealed trauma of the perineum in 10% of patients.
- Pain of the testis was observed in 81.0% of patients, oedema of the scrotum
- in 63%, erythema of the scrotum in 63.9%, pain localized in the upper pole of
- the testis in 26.6%, nausea or vomiting in 2.7%, fever in 4.6%, leucocytosis in
- 10.35%, and immature WBC in 7.3%. Most patients were admitted to the
- hospital during the first 12-24 hours after onset of AS symptoms. The number
- of surgical interventions in boys with AS increased during last three years.
- Conclusions. Because the most fre±uent causes of AS are torsion of the
- testis" appendix and torsion of the testis and its clinical manifestation is not
- characteristic, in authors" opinion AS in children is an indication for surgery.
-  Campobasso, P., Donadio, P, Spata, E., Salano, F., Belloli, G.: Lo scroto
- acuto in eta pediatrica: analisi di 265 casi. Pediatr. Med. Chir. 1996,18 (5 Suppl.),
-  Dubois, R., Dodat, H.: Les bourses aigues de 1'enfant. Arch. Pediatr., 1998, 5,
-  Fernandez, M. S., Dominguez, C, Sanguesa, C, Reig, C, Estornell, F.,
- Martinez, M., Gracia-Ibarra, F.: Utilidad del doppler color en el escroto de los
- ninos. Cir. Pediatr. 1997,10, 25-28.
-  Jefferson, R. H., Perez, L. M., Joseph, D. B.: Critical analysis of the clinical
- presentation of acute scrotum: A 9-year experience at a single institution. J. Urol.,
- 1997, 158, 1198-1200.
-  Kadish, H. A., Bolte, R. G.: A retrospective reviev of pediatric patients with
- epididymitis, testicular torsion and torsion of testicular appendages. Pediatrics 1998,
- 102, 73-76.
-  Nishimura, K., Namba, Y., Nozawa M., Oka, T., Osafune, M.: Clinical
- studies on acute scrotum -focusing on torsion of the spermatic cord. Hinyokika-
- Kiyo, 1996, 42, 723-727.
-  Sidler, D., Brown, R. A., Millar, A. }., Rode, H., Cywes, S.: A 25-year review
- of the acute scrotum in children. S. Afr. Med. J. 1997,87,1696-1698.
-  Zaj±czkowski, T., Straube, W.: Skręt przyczepków j±dra i naj±drza. Urol. Pol.
- 1994, 43, 155.