CONTRALATERAL VESICO-URETERAL REFLUX
AFTER UNILATERAL ANTIREFLUX OPERATION IN CHILDREN
Article published in Urologia Polska 1997/50/3.
Mieczysław Fryczkowski, Andrzej Paradysz, Zofia Krauze-Balwińska, Jacek Huk
- Katedra i Klinika Urologii ¦AM w Zabrzu
Kierownik Kliniki: prof. dr hab. n. med. M. Fryczkowski
ureters children one side antireflux operations contralateral reflux treatment
- Objective. The aim of the study was to analizę the risk factors of contralateral
- vesico-ureteral reflux after unilateral antireflux operation in children.
- Material and method. 25 children with contralateral vesico-ureteral reflux
- after unilateral antireflux operation were observed (7.6% of operated patients).
- Risk factors such as: age, sex, side of operation, status of the kidney, urinary
- tract infection, type of operation and others simultaneous congenital anomalies
- of the urinary tract were analysed.
- Results. It was estimated that this complication more fre±uently occured in
- children between 4-7 years of age, in duplicated ureters, in urinary tract
- infection, after Politano-Leadbetter and Hendren operation.
- Conclusion. The possibility of contralateral vesico-ureteral reflux after
- unilateral antireflux operation should be kept in mind. When in doubt bilateral
- antireflux operation should be performed. The vast majority of complications
- can be cured by conservative or endoscopic methods during 2.5 years.
-  De-Sy, W., Osterlinch, W.: Reintewention for complications after antireflux
- surgery. Eur. Urol, 1978, 4, 21.
-  Flack, Ch. E., Bellinger, M. F.: The multucystic dysplastic kidney and contra-
- lateral vesicoureteral reflux: Protection of the Solitary kidney. J. Urol, 1993,150,
-  Gerhart, J. P, Leonard, M. P: Reoperative ureteral reiplantation. Strategies
- for management. J. Ped. Surg., 1991, 26, 58.
-  Hjalmas, K., Lohr, G., Tamminen-Mebus, T.: Surgical results in thelnterna-
- tional Reflux Study in children (Europa). J. Urol., 1992, 148, 1657.
-  Kleiner, B., Tilly, R. M., Mock, L., Callen, P W.: Multicystic dysplastic
- kidney obseruations of contralateral disease in the fetal population. Radiology,
- 1986, 151, 27.
-  Mesrobion, H. G., Kramer, S. A., Kelalis, P. R: Reoperative ureterocystoneo-
- stomy. Review of 69 patients. J. Urol., 1985, 133, 388.
-  Noe, H. N.: The role of dysfunctional voiding in failure or complication of urete-
- ral reimplantation for primary reflux. J. Urol., 1985, 133, 1172.
-  Perrot, T. S., Woodard, J. R.: Reflux in opposite ureter after successful correc-
- tion of unilateral vesicoureteral reflux. Urology, 1975, 7, 276 .
-  Quinlon7 D., 0'Donnell, B.: Unilateral ureteric reimplantation for primary
- vesicoureteral reflux in children. A policy re-evaluatio. Brit. J. Urol., 1985, 57,
-  Ross, J. H., Kay, R., Nasrallah, P.: Contralateral reflux after unilateral reim-
- plantation in patients with a history of resolved contralateteral reflux. J. Urol.,
- 1995, 154, 1171.
-  Warren, M. M., Kelalis, P. P., Stickler, G. B.: Unilateral ureterocystoneo-
- stomy. The fate of the unilateral ureter. J. Urol., 1972, 107, 466.