Barbara Darewicz, Janusz Darewicz, Anna Borucka, Jacek Kudelski, Jerzy Badyda
- Klinika Urologii Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku
Kierownik Kliniki: prof. dr hab. med. J. Darewicz
Zakład Anestezjologii i Intensywnej Terapii
Kierownik Zakładu: doc. dr med. L Malinowska
spinal anesthesia ? headaches ? treatment
- Objective. The aim of the work were reason's analysis, prophylactic manner and
- treatment of severe headaches, one of the complications of the spinal anesthesia.
- Material and method. 1924 patients including 1321 males and 603 females, age 20
- to 80 years old were analysed. Spinal anesthesia were performed using 20, 22 and 25G
- needles, into the L3- L4 and L4-L5 spinal space. Anesthetic agents were 2 ml of the 5%
- lignocainum solution or 3 ml of the 0,5% bipiwacainum solution with 1 ml 20% glucose.
- Results. In 68 of them (3,53%) severe headaches were present. It was found that
- they were correlated with size of the needle, patienfs age and in a less degree with
- patients sex.
- We obtained in the treatment very good results, using 5% glucose and 0,9%
- physiological saline solutions intravenously.
- Conclusions. Authors belive that in the headaches prophylactic decrease of the needle
- diameter to 25-27G and staying in bed in a horizontal position for 24 hours after surgery
- are important.
-  Carbaat, P. A. T., Crevel, H.: Lumbar puncture headache: controlled study on
- the preventive effect of 24 hours bed rest. Lancet, 1981, 21,1133-1135.
-  Dietrich, M., Brandt, T.: Is obligatory bed rest after lumbar puncture obwolete?
- Eur. Arch. Psychiatry Neurol. Sci., 1985, 235, 71-75.
-  Garstka, J.: Znieczulenie przewodowe. Biblioteka Chirurga i Anestezjologa, nr
- 27, PZWL, Warszawa 1992,102.
-  Lambert, D. H.: Complications of spinal anesthesia. Int. Anestehesiol. Clin.,
- 1989, 27, 51-55.
-  Norns, M. C, Leighton, B. L., de Simone, C. A.: Anaesthesiology 1989, 70,
-  Raksin, N. H.: Lumbar puncture headache: a review. Headache, 1990, 30,197-
-  Tourtellotte, W. W., Henderson, W. G., Tucker, R. R, Gilland, O., Walker, J.
- E., Kokman, E. A.: A randomized double-blind clinical trial Comparing the 22
- versus 26 gauge needle in the production of the post-lumbar puncture syndrome in
- normal individuals. Headache, 1972,12, 73-78.