Posttraumatic arteriovenous fistula and pseudoaneurysm of renal artery complicated with hemodynamic disturbances and cirrhosis
Article published in Urologia Polska 2004/57/4.
Marek Długosz 1, Krzysztof Bar 2, Jerzy Stanisławek 3, Adam Prażanowski 1, Grzegorz Zarzycki 1, Andrzej Niewczas 1
- 1 Oddział Urologiczny Szpitala Miejskiego w Ostrowcu ¦więtokrzyskim
Ordynator oddziału: lek. med. Marek Długosz
2 Katedra i Klinika Urologii Akademii Medycznej w Lublinie
Kierownik kliniki: prof. dr hab. Krzysztof Bar
3 Oddział Chirurgiczny Szpitala Miejskiego w Ostrowcu ¦więtokrzyskim
Ordynator oddziału: dr med. Jerzy Stanisławek
kidney, arteriovenous fistula, pseudoaneurysm
- There are iatrogenic (arterial catheterization in order to perform arteriography, sometimes PCNL) or noniatrogenic (blunt trauma, stab wounds) reasons of arteriovenous fistulas and pseudoaneurysms [1,2]. Arteriovenous fistulas may also result from chronic pathological process involving renal vessels. Sometimes it may be congenital. Infection or inflammatory diseases of vessels may also lead to pseudoaneurysms. Diagnosis is often very difficult . Undiagnosed arteriovenous fistulas entail serious hemodynamic complications . Case of a patients with a history of injury (stab wound within left loin) with diagnosis of pseudoaneurysm of renal artery and arteriovenous fistula with serious complications such as cardiac failure, hypertension and renal cirrhosis is presented.
- the purpose of the study
- The aim of the study is to present a case of large pseudoaneurysm of left renal artery and arteriovenous fistula with serious complications such as cardiac failure, hypertension and renal cirrhosis. The diagnosis was done 6 years after the injurie (stub wound within the left loin).
- materials and methods
- 41 years old was injured within left loin 6 years ago. He was treated conservatively then. He was admitted to the hospital because of renal cirrhosis and suspition of renal aneurysm. Arteriography, CT, ultrasound scan, intravenous pyelography and ultrasound examination of the heart were performed.
- Examinations have shown pseudoaneurysm of renal artery and arteriovenous fistula. Ultrasound of the heart revealed decreased ejection fraction (40%), heart and pulmonary circulation overload and enormous cardiac hypertrophy. He was operated on after the cardiological assessment. During the operation small, cirrhotic kidney, large pseudoaneurysm of renal artery and arteriovenous fistula between aorta and renal vein were found. The kidney was removed and the fistula was repaired. There were no perioperative complications. Five months after the operation no hemodynamic disturbances and normotension was present.
- Late diagnosis of complications of stab injuries within loins - pseudoaneurysm of renal artery and arteriovenous fistula - may be the reason of serious disturbances such as cardiac failure, hypertension or renal cirrhosis.
- Jebara VA, EL Rassi I, Achoub PE, et al: Renal artery pseudoaneurysm after blunt abdominal trauma. J Vasc Surg 1998; 27: 362-365.
- Treiber U, Schwaibold H, Berger et al: Pseudoaneurysm of a subsegmental renal artery after percutaneus nephrolitholapaxy. Urologe A 2003; 42: 547-552.
- Schanzter H, Schanzer A: False aneurysm and arteriovenous fistula in JL Cameron, ed: Current surgical therapy; 7th ed St. Louis; Mosby; 2001; 855-859.
- Lupattelli T, Garaci FG, Manenti G et al: Giant high-flow renal arteriovenous fistula treated by percutaneus embolisation. Urology 2003; 61: 837.
- Parsons JK, Sch¶nberg MP: Renal artery pseudoaneurysm occurring after partial nephrectomy. Urology 2001; 58: 105.
- Miller DC, Faerber GJ: Arterial pseudoaneurysm complicating endoscopic fulguration of upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma. Urology 2001; 58: 799.
- Malden ES, Picus D, Clayman RV: Arteriovenous fistula complicating endopyelotomy. J Urol 1992; 148: 1520-1523.
- Lozano JE, Beach PD, Carlton CE Jr: Iatrogenic renal vascular injury. Urology 1978; 12: 347-350.
- Mizutani K, Sahashi M, Yamada S et al: A case with arteriovenous fistula from renal injury. Nippon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 1992; 83: 102-105.
- Miller DC, Forauer A, Faerber GJ: Successful angi¶mbolization of renal artery pseudoaneurysms after blunt abdominal trauma. Urology 2002; 59: 444.
- Cantasdemir M, Adaletli I, Cebi D et al: Emergency endovascular embolization of traumatic intrarenal arterial pseudoaneurysm with N - butyl cyanoacrylate. Clin Radiol 2003; 58: 560-565.
- Darcq C, Guy L, Garcier JM, Boyer L et al: Post-traumatic secondary arteriovenous fistulae of the kidney and their embolization. Report of 3 cases. Prog Urol 2002; 12: 21-26.
ul. Wieniawskiego 14
27-400 Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski
tel. (0 41) 247 88 66, 0 606 463 523