Blood loss after transurethral resection of the prostate
following different methods of conservative therapies
Article published in Urologia Polska 2008/61/4.
- Indywidualna Specjalistyczna Praktyka Lekarska
prostate benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) conservative treatment electroresectio TUR-P – bleeding
- The aim of the study.
Evaluation of the blood loss in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) after transurethral resection
- of the prostate (TUR-P) in regards to previously chosen conservative treatment method.
- Materials and methods.
The group of 119 patients was evaluated. Patients formed homogenous population as regards to the
- baseline laboratory test results. The size of the prostate was tested with transabdominal ultrasound scan (volume of the gland was
- bigger in patients receiving finasteride therapy). The haemoglobin and haematocrit levels were measured before and after the surgery.
- The study results were statistically analyzed.
In the patients on finasteride therapy prior to the TUR-P, the haemoglobin and haematocrit levels in the perioperative period
- were considerably higher than those within the patient groups treated with alpha blockers or receiving no medication.
Finasteride treatment in the patients’ preparation for the TUR-P markedly reduces the risk of perioperative bleeding, and
- thus – minimizes the transfusion of blood derivative preparations risk. 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor may be taken into account as a preoperative
- drug before the surgery in patients with BPH, or those who do not agree for blood transfusion or any blood derivatives.
- Gentens P, Van der Planken M, Augustijns J: Transurethral prostatectomy: a bloodspilling technique Acta Chir Belg 1986, 86 (6), 349-351.
- Kirollos MM, Campbell N: Factors influencing blood loss in transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP): auditing TURP. Br J Urol 1997, 80 (1), 111-115.
- de Campos Freire G, de Campos Pachelli L, Cordeiro P et al: Blood loss during and following transurethral resection. Prostate 1986, 8 (1), 87-92.
- Levin K, Nyren O, Pompeius R: Blood loss, tissue weight and operating time in transurethral prostatectomy. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1981, 15 (3), 197-200.
- Abrams PH, Shah PJ, Bryning K et al: Blood loss during transurethral resection of the prostate. Anaesthesia 1982, 37 (1), 71-73.
- Mackenzie AR: Influence of anaesthesia on blood loss in transurethral prostatectomy. Scott Med J 1990, 35 (1), 14-16.
- Miskowiak J, Frost J: Blood loss during transurethral resection of the prostate: Ugeskr Laeger 1996, 1, 158 (27), 3924-3927.
- Poulsen EU, Wedel P, Krarup T: Evaluation of blood loss and absorption of irrigating fluid in transurethral resection of the prostate. Ugeskr Laeger 1998, 27, 160 (31), 4528-4530.
- Oszlanczi J, Szabo M: Measuring blood loss during transurethral resections. Acta Chir Hung 1990, 31 (1), 69-73.
- Hahn RG: Influence of variations in blood haemoglobin concentration on the calculation of blood loss and volumetric irrigating fluid balance during transurethral resection of the prostate. Br J Anaesth 1987, 59 (10), 1223-1229.
- Sokeland J: Combined sabal and urtica extract compared with finasteride in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia: analysis of prostate volume and therapeutic outcome. BJU Int 2000, 86 (4), 439-442.
- Sieber PR, Rommel FM, Huffnagle HW et al: The treatment of gross haematuria secondary to prostatic bleeding with finasteride. J Urol 1998, 159 (4), 1232-1233.
- Hagerty JA, Ginsberg PC, Harmon JD, Harkaway RC: Pretreatment with finasteride decreases perioperative bleeding associated with transurethral resection of the prostate. Urology 2000, 55 (5), 684-689.
- Sandfeldt L, Bailey DM, Hahn RG: Blood loss during transurethral resection of the prostate after 3 months of treatment with finasteride. Urology 2001, 58 (6), 972-976.
Indywidualna Specjalistyczna Praktyka Lekarska
Os. Rzeczypospolitej 6
tel. kom. 501 516 005