- Katedra i Klinika Urologii Ogólnej Onkologicznej i Dziecięcej Collegium Medicum w Bydgoszczy Uniwersytetu Mikołaja Kopernika w Bydgoszczy
urinary tract, nocturia, sleep, quality of life
- Introduction. Nocturia compels men to wake up at night. The botheration depends on times of nocturial voidings. 9 to 16 percent of men have to wake up at night due to nocturia.
- The aim of this study is evaluation of impact of nocturia on sleep and quality of life of polish men.
- Material and methods. On the basis of special questionnaire more than 50 years old men and their women have been evaluated. Impact of nocturia on quality of life and life activity dependent on age, education and professional activity was evaluated. Statistical evaluation was carried out on the basis of T-Test on Column Proportions. The study was performed by Pentor Medic on the commission of Yamonouchi (now Astellas) in 2005.
- Results. Nocturia is the most bothersome condition in men more then other lower tract symptoms, which was conformed by their partners. The botheration is bigger in older men. The sleep disturbance associated with frequent nocturial voiding leads to increased fatigue and interfere with daily activities in majority of polish men. Nocturia has negative impact on sexual and social activities in 1/3 of polish men. One half of men were treated due to nocturia. The treatment frequency was greater in older men and in men with higher educational level.
- Conclusions. Nocturia is also the most bothersome symptom in polish men. It has negative impact on well-being and reduced life activity The botheration is greater in older men and in men with higher educational level. Quality of life of men and their partners was more reduced in older and better educated persons. Men associate nocturia with benign prostate hyperplasia first of all and their knowledge about the disease is greater in well educated and above 60 years old persons.
- Abrams P, Cardozo L, Fall M et al: The standardization of termonology in nocturia: raport from standardization subcommitee of the International Continence Society. Urology. 2003, 61, 37-49.
- Asplund R: Nocturia: konsekwencje w zakresie snu i aktywności codziennych oraz związane z nimi ryzyko. Tytuł po polsku?... Eur Urol suppl. 2005, 3, 6, 1-10.
- Middelkopp HAM, Smilde-van den Doel DA, Neven AK, Kamphuisen HA, Sprenger CP: Subjective sleep characteristic of 1485 males and females aged 50-93: effects of sex and age and factor related to self-evaluated quality of sleep. J Gerontl A 1996, 51, 198-215.
- Shaltzl G. Temml C, Schmidbauer J et al: Cross - sectional study of nocturia in both sexes: analisis of a voluntary health screening project. Urology 2000, 56, 71-75.
- Abrams P: Nocturia: the major problem in patients with lower urinariay tract symptoms suggestive of benign prostatic obstruction (LUTS/BPO). Eur Urol suppl 2005, 3, 6, 8-16.
- Abrams P: Nocturia and daytime energy the underestimated impact patients quality of life. Eur Urol suppl 2005, 3, 6, 1-32.
- Asplund R, Aberg H: Health of elderly with regard to sleep and nocturnal micturition. Scand J Prim Health Care 1992, 10, 98-104.
- Wolski Z: Częstomocz nocny (/nokturia) i jego wpływ na sen i jakość życia. Essentia Medica - w druku.
- Stanley N: The physiology of sleep and the impact of ageing. Eur Urol suppl 2005, 3, 6, 17-23.
- Abrams P: Nocturia: the effect on sleep and related health consequences. Eur Urol suppl. 2005, 3, 6, 1-7.
- Asplund R: Sleep and cardiac diseases amongst elderly peaple. J Intern Med 1994, 236, 65-71.
- Tubaro A et al: Future Directions in Evalualting Nocturia and its Impact Patients with LUTS/BPH. Eur Urol suppl 2006, 5, 1, 19-21.
- Steward RE Mare MT, May FE, Marks RG, Hale WE: Nocturia: risk factor for falls in the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc 1992, 40, 1217-1220.
Klinika Urologii Ogólnej, Onkologicznej i Dziecięcej
ul. M. Curie-Skłodowskiej 9
tel./fax (052) 585 40 45