Evaluation of the effectiveness of cytological testing of urine in
diagnosing and determining the stage of malignancy in urinary bladder cancer
Article published in Urologia Polska 1992/45/2.
Stanisław Biernat, Janusz Kopczyński
- Z Zakładu Patomorfologii WAM Kierownik: prof. dr hab. med. A. Kulig
- Cytological tets of urine, in duplicate and triplicate, from 50 patients with bladder tumours were performed. In 49 patients cancer cells were found at least in one test, and only in 1 patient, with tumours of the lowest grade of malignancy, (group I) the cytological test was negative. Most often the cancer cells were discovered in tumours of the highest grade of malignancy (group II-96.0%).
- Also in these tumours the accuracy of determination of the stage of tumour malignancy was the highest (80%).
- In groups II and I these values were lower and amounted to 53.0% and 75.0% for group II, and 46.0% and 70% for group I, respectively. The paper discusses decisive factors in the effectiveness of cytological examination of urine and points to diagnostic difficulties and causes of erroneous diagnoses.
- 1.El-Bolkainy M. N.: Cytology of bladder carcinoma. J. Urol., 1980, 124, 20. —
- 2.Gil-Salom M., Sanchez M. C, Chaun P., Clar F., Santamaria J., Garcia-Sisamon F.: Multiple mucosal biopsies and postoperative urinary cytology in patients with bladder cancer. Eur. Urol., 1990., 17, 281. —
- 3. Hastie K. J., Ahmad R., Moisey C. U.: Fractionated urinary cytology in the
- following-up of bladder cancer. Brit. J. Urol., 1990, 66, 40. —
- 4. Koss L. G.: Evaluation of
- patients with carcinoma in situ of the bladder. Pathol. A., 1982, 17, II, 253.
- 5. Koss L. G.:Precursor lesions of invasive bladder cancer. Eur. Urol., 1988, 14, Supl., 1, 4. —
- 6. Leoning S.,Narayana A., Yoder L., Slymen D., Weinstein S., Penic G., Culp D.: Longitudinal study of bladder cancer with cytology and biopsy. Brit. J. Urol., 1978, 50, 496. —
- 7. Mostofi F. K., Sobin L. H., Torloni J.: Histological typing of urinary bladder tumours. Geneva, WHO, International Histological Classification of Tumours. 1973, 10, 17.
- 8. Murphy W. M., Soloway M. S., Jukkola A. F., Crabtree W. N., Ford K. S.:Urinary cytology and bladder cancer. The cellular features of transitional cell neoplasms. Cancer, 1984, 53, 1555.
- 9. Murphy M. W.: Current status of urinary cytology in the evaluation of bladder neoplasms. Human Pathol., 1990, 21, 886. —
- 10. National Bladder Cancer Collaborative Group A.: Cytology and histopathology of bladder cancer in a prospective longitudinal study. Cancer Res., 1977, 37, 2911.
- 11. Naslund I.: Reliability and occuracy of urotel test, a device for urinary cytology. Eur. Urol.,1988,15,54.
- 12. Poel H. G. van der., Boon M. E., van der Meulen E. A., Wijsman-Grootendorst A.: The reproducibility of cytomorphometrical grading of bladder tumour. Virchows Arch. A., 1990, 416, 521. —
- 13. Reuter V. E., Melamed M. R.:Cytology, flow cytometry and blood group, w książce: Diagnostic surgical pathology pod redakcją Sternberg S.:Raven Press, New York, 1989, II, 1383. —
- 14. Shenoy U. A.: Reliability of urinary cytodiagnosis in urothelial neoplasms. Cancer, 1985, 56, 2041.
doc. dr hab. med. Stanisław Biernat
90-549 Łódź, ul. Żeromskiego 113
Zakład Patomorfologii WAM