The results of treatment of adult patients with rhabdomyosarcoma of the prostate
Article published in Urologia Polska 2003/56/2.
Paweł Wiechno, Małgorzata Sadowska, Beata Paluchowska, Tomasz Demkow
- Klinika Nowotworów Układu Moczowego Centrum Onkologii-Inslytut im. Marii Sklodowskiej-Curie w Warszawie
Kierownik kliniki: dr hab. Tomasz Demkow
prostate, rhabdomyosarcoma of the prostate, combined treatment, chemotherapy
- Objectives. Evaluation of the results of rhabdomyosarcoma treatment of the prostate in own experience in Department of Urology. Institute of Oncology in Warsaw.
- Material and method. From 1995 to 2000 had applied 2673 patients to Institute of Oncology with histological confirmed carcinoma of the prostate. Five (0,2%) of them were with rhabdomyosarcoma of the prostate. In mentioned five cases as a diagnosed form was rhabdomyosarcoma embryonale. The patient\'s age was in range between 17 and 36. In each case carcinoma crossed the capsule of the prostate. In three cases regional lymph node were taken. 4 patients had metastases to lung (2 pts had metastases to both: lymph node and lung). Combined chemotherapy IF/PEC (Iphosphamide. F.to-poside. Cis-platinum. Epirubicin. Cyclophosphamide) was as a first treatment. The patients received 1-7 chemotherapy courses (an average- 6 courses).
- Results. The complete response (CR) was obsen\'ed in any case, the partial response (PR) was ob-served in three cases, stabilization (NR) was observed in one case and progression of the carcinoma was also observed in one case. One of the three patients who had partial response, underwent cysto-proslalectomy and then radiotherapy. The complete response lasted 7 months and afterwards was progression and eventually death. Two of three patients who had partial response were undergone radiotherapy. An average time of observation was 7 months (1-11 months). All of the patients died. An average time of observation from diagnosis to death was 11 months (2-18 months).
- Conclusion. Rhabdomyosarcoma is very rare occure cancer of the prostate in adults. In this case prognosis is poor despite intensive combined treatment.
- 1. Christoffersen J Leiomyosarcoma of the prostate. Acta Chir Scand Suppl 1973;433:75-84.
- 2. StirlingWC,AshJE:Sarcomaoftheprostate.JUrol 1939:41: 515-33,
- 3. Schmidt J I), Welch MJ: Sarcoma of the prostate. Cancer 1976: 37: 1908-1912.
- 4. Levine EC. Gaeta JE Huben RF: Sarcomas of the Adult Prostate Gland. Textbook ol\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Uneommon Cancer Second Edition 1999; 75-82.
- 5. Jacgues DE Coit DC, Hajdu SI. Brennan MF: Management of primary arid recurrent soft-tissue sarcoma of the. rctroperitoneum. Ann Surg 1990; 211:51-59.
- 6. Meijer S, PeretzX Gaynor Jf. Tan C. Hajdu SI. Brennan MF: Primary colorectal sarcoma. Arch Surg 1990:125: 1163-1168.
- 7. Glenn J. Sindclar WE Kinsella T, Glatstein E el al\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Results ofmidtimoik-lity therapy of resectable soft-tissue sarcomas of the retroperitoneum. Surgery 1985; 97: 316-325.
- 8. I leslin MJ, Lewis JJ. Nadler E el al: Prognosic factors associated with long--term survival for retroperitoneal sarcoma: implications for management. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 2832-2839.
- 9. Coindre J-M, Terrier R Bui NB el at. Prognosic factors in adult patient with locally contwBedsoft tissue sarcoma: a study of 546 patlenlsfrom the Frendi Ik-deration of Cancer Centers Sarcoma Group. J Clin Oncol 1996:14:869-77.
- 10. Camuad FA. Block NI., Charyulu K el «J: Leiomyosarcoma of prostate aland. Urolog)\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' 1981;XVTH: 295-297.
- 11. Elias AD: Advances in the diagnosis and management ofsanvmas. Curr Opin Oncol 1991; 3: 671-676.
- 12. Brennan MF. Casper ES, Harrison LB: Soft tissue sarcoma, in De Vila. Jr, VT, IlcUman S, Rosenberg S. A. (eds) Cancer Principles and Practice of Oncology. 5™ edition. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Lippincott-Raven. 1997:1738-1788.
- 13. Kinsella TJ. Sindelar WE Lack E et al: Preliminary results of a randomized study of adjuvant radiation therapy in resectable adult retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Clin Oncol 1988: 6:18-25.
- 14. Glenn J, Kinsella T, Glatslein E el al: A randomized prospective trial of adjuvant chemotherapy in adults with soft tissue sarcomas of the head and neck, breast, and trunk, Cancer 1985: 55:1206-1214.
Klinika Nowotworów Ukhttn Moczowego
ul. Roentgena 5
fax: (0-22) 644-50-24 w. 27-22