Andrzej Łęcki, Henryk Zieliński
- Klinika Urologii Centralnego Szpitala Klinicznego WAM w Warszawie
Kierownik kliniki: prof, dr hab. Henryk Zieliński
scrotum, trauma, ultrasonography, surgery
- The aim of the study. Trauma of the scrotum was analysed taking account of a type of trauma, results of ultrasonographic examination and method of treatment.
- Material and method. Between 1982 and 2000, 51 patients were treated due to scrotal trauma. Mean age of this group of men was 25 years (from 17 to 74 years). Preoperatively, in 30 patients ultrasonography was performed.
- Results. The most frequent cause of the trauma, observed In 49 patients, was a blow (kicking); other causes were: shot (in 1 patient) and bite (in 1 patient). Forty-seven of patients underwent surgical treatment, and in 4 patients conservative management was done. The type of trauma, observed in our group of patients, were as follow: rupture of the testis (27), scrotal haemato-ma (12), contusion of the testis (7), contusion of the epididymis (2), rupture of the epididymis (1), hydrocele (1), and bite wound of the scrotum (1). Two patients underwent amputation of the testis. Mean time of (he hospital stay was 7 days. An USG examination allowed more exact diagnosis of the type of trauma (particularly in cases with tunica albuginea interruption), and in 4 patients allowed qualification to conservative treatment and control of the wound healing.
- Conclusions. Most patients with trauma of the scrotum are young men, in whom preservation of the testis is very important for fertility. Ultrasonography is a very useful method in diagnosis and choice of the method of treatment, particularly for surgery.
- 1. Hayami S, Ishigooka M, Suzuki Y, Sasagawa I, Nakada T, Mitobe K:Pathological changes of traumatic dislocated testis. Urol Int 1996; 56:129-132.
- 2. Lawson JS, Rotem T, Wilson SF:Catastrophic injuries to the eyes and testicles in footballers. Med J Austral 1995; 163: 242-244.
- 3. Moussaoui A, Jouale A, Benjelloun S: Traumatismcs des bourses. Analyse de 25 observations. Journal d Urologie 1996; 102: 88-91.
- 4. Altarac S: Management of 53 cases of testicular trauma. Eur Urol 1994; 25:119-123.
- 5. Hodonou RK, Diallo A, Akpo EC, Koura A, Hounasso PR Goudote E: Traumatismes desorganes genitaux exlemes ma-sculins. Ann Urol (Paris) 1997; 31:318-321.
- 6. Berman JM, Beidle TR, Kunberger LE, Lctourneau JG: Sonographic evaluation of acute intrascrotal pathology. AJR 1996; 166: 857-861.
- 7. Mulhall JP, Gabram SG, Jacobs LM:Emergency management of blunt testicular trauma. Acad Emerg Med 1995; 2: 639-643.
- 8. Pa til MG, Onuora VC: The value of ultrasound in the evaluation of patients with blunt scrotal trauma. Injur}\\\' 1994; 25: 177-178.
- 9. Nolten WE, Viosca SP, Korenman SG, Mardi R, Shapiro SS: Association of elevated estradiol with remote testicular trauma in young infertile men. Fertil & Steril 1994; 62: 143-149.
- 10. Lin WW, Kim ED, Quesada ET, Lipshultz LI, Coburn M: Unilateral testicular injury from external trauma:evaluation of semen quality and endocrine parameters. J Urol 1998; 159: 841-843.
- 11. Learch TJ, Hansen LP, Ralls PW:Sonography in patients with gunshot wounds of the scrotum: imaging findings and their value. AJR 1995; 165: 879-883.
- 12. Katlowitz NM, Fliescher A, Benet AE:Reestablishmeni of male sexual function and appearance 23 years after alligator induced traumatic orchiectomy and penile lacerations. J Urol 1995; 153: 1929-1930.
- 13. Talic RF: Unilateral traumatic hematocele - an unusual presentation of bilateral testicular rupture. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1999; 33: 131-132.
- 14. Merzenich H, Ahrcns W, Stang A, Baumgardt EC, Jahn I, Stegmaicr C, Jockel KH: Sorting the hype from the facts in testicular cancer: is testicular cancer related to trauma! J Urol 2000; 164: 2143-2144.
- 15. Hendrix AJ, Dang CL, Vroegindeweij D, Korte JH: D-m-ode and colour-flow duplex ultrasonography: a useful adjunct in diagnosing scrotal diseases? Br J Urol 1997; 79: 58-65.
- 16. Corrales JG, Corbel L, Cipolla B, Staerman F, Darnault P, Guille F, Lobel B: Accuracy of ultrasound diagnosis after blunt testicular trauma. J Urol 1993; 150: 1834-1836.
ul. Sosnowiecka 4/4
lei: 0-503 92 65 90