Wiesław Urbanowicz, Marek Górniak
- Klinika Urologii Dziecięcej Uniwersyteckiego Szpitala Dziecięcego w Krakowie Kierownik kliniki: dr hab. Wiesław Urbanowicz
ureter, primary magureter, obstructive uropathies, ureteral reimplantation
- Purpose. We reviewed and analysed the results of our surgical treatment of primary obstructive megaureters in neonates, infants
- and older children. Method. From 1995 to 2001, 67 children were treated for primary obstructive megaureter. In 63 of them surgical treatment was
- necessary and they underwent partial resection of the lower part of the ureter and ureteroneocystostomy m. Poltiano-Leadbe-
- tter or m. Mathisen. In 12 patients narrowing of the reimplanted ureter was done, using the method of Hendren, Kalicinski or
- Starr. Five patients underwent transient percutaneous nephrestomy before the operation. Results. Postoperatuve renal scintigraphy and intravenous pyelography revealed improvement of the renal function in all patients.
- In 10,4% of them the vesicoureteral reflux was observed and they were treated by endoscopic ostial injection. None of patients
- had stricture recurence after surgery. Conclusions. Patients with primary obstructive megaureters should be observed before treatment. The surgical method of choice
- is a resection of the stricture and anti-refluxing reimplantation of the ureter. In patients with considerably enlarged ureters,
- surgical narrowing schould be performed.
- 1. Smith DE, Cussen LJ, Glenn JF, Hendren WH, Jeffs RD, Johnston JH, Perlmutter AD, Stephens FD, Tanago EA, Whitaker RH, Woodward JR: International nomenclature for the large ureter. International Pediatrie Urology, New York: Alan R. Liss, Inc. 1977.
- 2. Blickman JG, Lebowitz RL: Thecoexistence of primary megaureter and reflux. Am J Roentgenol 1984; 143:1053.
- 3. Kaliciński ZH, Kansy J, Kotarbińska B, Joszt W: Surgery of megaureters. Modification of Hendren \\\\\\\'s operation. J Pediatr Surg 1977; 12: 183.
- 4. Starr A: Ureteral plication. A new concept in ureteral tailoring for megaureter. Invest Urol 1979; 17: 153.
- 5. Caione P, Capozza N, Asili L, Lais A, Matarazzo E: Is primary obstivctive megaureter repair at risk for contraleteral reflux? J Urol 2000; 164:1061.
- 6. Hohenfellner K, Hunley TE, Yerkes E, Habermehl P, Ho-henfellner R, Kon V. Angiotensin II, type 2 receptor in the development of vesica-ureteric reflux. BJU Int 1999; 83: 318.
- 7. Keating MA, Escala J, Snyder HM, Hey man S, Duckett JW: Changing concepts in management of primary obstivctive megaureter. J Urol 1989; 142: 636.
- 8. Mollard P. Foray P, De Godoy JL, Valignat C: Management of primary, obstructive megaureter without reflux in neonates. Eur Urol\\\\\\\' 1993; 24: 505.
- 9. Baskin LS, Zderic SA, Snyder HM, Duckett JW: Primary dilated megaureter:long tenn follow-up. J Urol 1994; 152:618.
- 10. Domini M, Aquino A, Pappalcpore N, Tursini S, Marino N, Strocchi F, Lelli Chiesa P: Conservative treatment of neonatal primary megaureter. Eur J Pediatr Surg 1999; 9: 396.
- 11. Oliveira EA, Diniz JS, Rabelo EA, Silva JM, Pereira AK, Filgueiras MX Soares FM, Sanson! RF: Primary megaureter detected by prenatal ultrasonography: conseivative management and prolonged follow-up.Int Urol Nephrol 2000; 32: 13.
- 12. Sheu JC, Chang PY, Wang NL, Tsai TC, Huang FY: Is surgery necessary for primary non-refluxing megaureler?Pediatr Surg Int 1998; 13: 501.
- 13. Lettgen B, Kropfl D, Bonzel KE, Meyer-Schwickerath M, Rascher W: Primary obstructed megaureler in neonates. Treatment by temporary urelerocutaneosiomy. Br J Urol 1993:72:826.
- 14. Dorairajan LN, Hemal AK, Gupta NP, Wadhwa SN: Primary obstructive megaureler in adults: need for an aggressive management strategy. Int Urol Nephrol 1999; 31: 633.
- 15. Bapat S, Bapal M, Kirpekar D:Endoureterotomy for congenitalprimary Obstructive megaureler: preliminary report. J En-dourol 2000; 14 (3): 263.
Uniwersytecki Szpital Dziecięcy
Klinika Urologii Dziecięcej