Treatment of advanced prostate cancer by gosereline depot and bicalutamid - assessment
of efficacy and safety
Article published in Urologia Polska 2001/54/4.
Tomasz Szopiński, Artur Antoniewicz, Mieczysław Koziarski, Andrzej Borówka
- Zespól Dydaktyki Urologicznej CMKP, Oddziału Urologii Centralnego Szpitala Kolejowego w Warszawie Kierownik zespołu i ordynator oddziału: prof, dr hab. med. Andrzej Borówka
prostate, prostate cancer, maximal androgen blockade, Zoladex LA, Casodex
- Aim of the study which was the part of the muhicenter clinical trial according to protocol 7054PO/0001 evaluating the efficacy and tolerance of pharmacological maximal androgen blocked (MAB) by using Zoladex LA 10,8 mg and Casodex, 50 mg in patients with advanced prostate cancer (T3-4 Nx M0-1). This one -year study recruited 15 patients aged 63 to 77 years. Zoladex La was administered subcutaneously every 3th week of treatment. Finale results were thou based on 14 patient\'s records. In 3 cases administration of MAB was stopped before 1 year due to progression of cancer. All 11 remaining patients passed the I-year period of treatment with clinical improvement and reduction of PSA level. Side effects were noted in all cases in a form of hot flushes of moderate intensification.
- Results of the study shows that pharmacological MAB by using Zoladex LA and Casodex is efficient way of treatment of advanced prostate cancer. Side effects during therapy are low and usually occur in moderate intensity and do not oblige to the treatment withdrawn.
- 1. Labric F, Dupont A, Bclangcr A: New approach in the treatment of prostate cancer: complete instead of partial withdrawal of androgens. Prostate, 1983, 4, 579-584.
- 2. Schroeder F. H: New strategies of endocrine treatment of advanced prostate cancer. Urol Pol 1999, 52, (2a), 108.
- 3. Brogden RN, Faluds D: Goserelin. A review of its phannacolo-dynamic and phannacolokinetic properties and therapeutic efficacy in prostate cancer. Drugs and Ageing 1995, 6, 324-343.
- 4. Kuhn J, M, Billebauid X Navaratil H: Prevention of the transient adverse effects ofgonadotropin-relesing hormone analogue (buse-relin) in metastatic prostatic carcinoma by administration of an antiandrogen (nilutamide). N Eng J Med, 1989, 321, 413-418.
- 5. Denis L: Prostate cancer. Primary hormonal treatment. Cancer 1993, 71 (suppl.), 1050-1058.
- 6. Cher ML, Bianco FJ, Lam JS: Limited role of radionuclide bone scintigraphy in-patients with prostate-specific antigen elevations after radical prostatectomy. J Urol 1998, 160,1387-1391.
- 7. Karling P. Hammar X, Navartil H: Prevention and duration of the hot flushes after surgical or medical castration in men with prostate carcinoma. J Urol 1994, 152, 1170-1173.
- 8. Smith JA: A prospective comparison of treatments of symptomatic hot flushes following endocrine therapy for carcinoma of the prostate. J Urol 1994, 152,132-134.
- 9. Varenhhorsl F., Hammar M: Hot flushes under endocrine treatment and their management. Recent advances in prostate cancer and BPH. The Partenon Publishing Group, New York-London, 1996.
- 10. Wechsel HW, Zerbib M, Pagano F: Randomised open labelled comparative study of the efficacy, safety and tolerability ofleupro-lin acetate 1m and 3m. depot in patients with advanced prostatic carcinoma. Eur Urol 1996, 30, 7-14.
- 11. Iversen P, Xyrrell CI, Kaisaiy AV, Anderson JB, Bacrt L, Chamberlain M, Carroll K, Ootting-Smith K, Blackledgc OR: Casodex (bicalutamide) !50mg monotherapy compered with castration in patients with previously untreated non-metastatic prostatecancer: results from 2 multicenter randomised trials at median follow up of 4 years. Urology 1998, 51,389-396.
- 12. Schellhammer PF: Bicalutamide as an alternative for advanced Pea. Contemporary. Urology 1996,12,3-5.
- 13. Schellhammer PF: Clinical benefits of bicalutamide compared with flutamide in combined androgen blockade of patients with advanced prostatic carcinoma: final report of double blind randomised multicenter trial. Urology 1997,50, 330-336.
- 14. Xyrrell CJ, Denis LJ, Newling D, Soloway M., Channer K, Cockshott ID: Casodex 10-200 rng daily used as monotherapy for the treatment of patients with advanced prostate cancer. Eur Urol 1998,33, 39-53.
- 15. Xyrrell CJ, Kaisary AV, Iversen P: Randomised comparison of casodex (bicalutamide) 150-mg monotherapy versus castration in the treatment of metastatic and locally advanced prostate cancer. Eur Urol 1998, 33, 447-456.
- 16. Vogelzang NJ, Chodak GW, Soloway MS. Goserelin versus orchiectomy in the treatment of advanced prostate cancer: final results of a randomised trial. Urology 1995, 46, 220-226.
- 17. Debruyne FM, Dijkman GA, Lee DCH, Wijtes WPJ: A new long acting formulation of the luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone analogue, goserelin: results of studies in prostate cancer. J Urol 1996, 155, 1352-1354.
- 18. Dijkman GA, Debruyne FM, Fernandez del Moral P:A randomised trial comparing the safety and efficacy of thaw Zoladex 10.8mg depot, administered every 12 weeks, to that of the Zoladex 3.6 mg depot, administered every 4 weeks, in patients with advanced prostate cancer. Eur Uro 1995, 27, 43-46.
- 19. Eisenberger MA, Blumenslein BA, Crawford ED. Bilateral orchiectomy with or without flulamid for metastatic prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 1998, 339,1036-1042.
Centralny Szpital Kolejowy, Oddział Urologii
al. Bursztynowa 2