High-energy transurethral microwave thermotherapy
(TUMT) in BPH patients preliminary study
Article published in Urologia Polska 2001/54/1.
Zygmunt Dobrowolski, Tomasz Drewniak, Wojciech Habrat, Wiesław Węglarz
- Katedra i Klinika Urologii Collegium Medicum Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego w Krakowie Kierownik Kliniki: drhab. mcd. Zygmunt Dobrowolski
prostate, BPH, high-energy transurethral microwave thermolherapy
- Objectives. To early evaluate efficacy of HE-TUMT in the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) by assessing subjective symptoms (IPSS and QoL) and objective symptoms (Qmax, postvoid residual urine) and changes in prostate volumes measured in TRUS.
- Material and methods. In this prospective study, 16 patients with symptomatic BPI I underwent TUMT. 16 patient were evaluated before treatment and 14 patients in 3, 5 and 12 weeks follow-up interval.
- Results. At 12 weeks after TUMT, the mean improvement in 1PSS was from 20.6 to 7.75 point. Improvement in the mean QoL score was similar in partem to those in the mean IPSS. From 9.7 ml/s before TUMT treatment to 13.9 ml/sek. at 12 weeks after treatment increase in Qmax was observed in uroflowmetry. At 12-week observation only in one cause 20 ml postvoid residual urine was observed. There was no change in prostate volume measured in TRUS.
- Conclusion. This study provides preliminary evidence that TUMT may be an efficient non-invasive option in patients with symptomatic BPH. Our early results and latest conclusions in literature suggesting growing competition HE-TUMT to TURP especially regarding cost efficacy. Conclusion of XIII WHO Committee evaluating non-invasive treatments options in BPH patients expressed during V BPH Meeting in Paris in July 2000 said that HE-TUMT is one of most promising treatment methods.
-  Ahmed M., Bell T., Lawrence W. T, .• Transurethral microwave, therapy (Prostatroit versio 2.5) compared with transurethral resection of the prostate for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia: a randomized, controlled, parallel study. Br. J. Urol. 1997,79,181-185.
-  Daehlin L.: Frugard three-year follow-up after transurethral microwave thertnotherapy (TUMT) for benign prostate hyperplasia using the PRIMUS u + R dvice. Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol. 1999,33,217-221.
-  D\\\"Ancona F. C, Francisca E. A., Wiljes W. P., Welling L.. Debruy-ne, F. M.: Transurethral resection o/ the prostate vs high-energy thermotherapv of the prostate in patients with benign prostate hyperplasia: long-term results. Or. J. Urol. 1998,81,259-264.
-  De la Rosetlee J. J., Froeling F. M., Debruyne F. M.: Clinical results with microwave thertnotherapy of benign prostate hper-plasia. Cur. Urol. l993,23,Suppl. 1,68-71.
-  Djavan B.. Seilz C, Ghawidel K., Marberger M: High-energy transurethral microwave thertnotherapy in patients with acute urinary retention due to benign prostate hyperplasia. Urology 1999, 54,17-22.
-  Djavan B., Sharial S.. Fakhari M., Ghawidel K., Marberger M.: Neoadjuvant and adjuvant alpha-blockade improves results of high-energy transurethral microwave thertnotherapy follower urinary trad symptoms of benign prostatas hyperplasia: a randomized, prospective clinical trial. Urology 1999, 53.251-259.
-  Glass J. M.. Bdesha A. S., Witherow R. O.: Microwave ther-motherapy: a long time-term follow-up of 67 patients from a single centre. Br. J. Urol. 1998, 81, 377-382.
-  Hallin A., Berlin T.; Transurethral microwave thermothera-py ofBPH. Urol. 1996, 30, 429-436.
-  Lau K. O., Li M. K.., Foo K. T.: Transurethral microwave thermotherapv for benign prostate hyperplasia. Urology 1998. 52, 829-833.
-  Porru D., Scarpa R. M., Delisa A.: Urodynamic changes in benign prostatic hyperplasia patients treated by microwave thermotlierapy. Eur. Urol. 1994, 26, 303-308.\\\'
- [ll] Slravodimos K. G., Goldfischer E. R., Klima W. J.\\\' Transurethral microwave therapy for management of BPH: a single-institution experience. Urology 1998, 51, 1008-1012.
-  Tokoitiitsu M., Mizunaga M., Kaneko S.: Transurethral microwave therapy for benign prostate hypertorphy Nippon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 1997. 88, 670-676.
-  Walden M., Acosta S., Carlsson P.: A cost-effectiveness analysis of trans-urethra} resection of the prostate and transurethral microwave thermotlierapy for treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia: two year follow-up. Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol. 1998, 32, 204-210.
Klinika Urologii CM UJ
ul. Grzegórzecka 18