CODE: 21 - Comparative study on kidney's wound healing with fibrin sealant application and poliglactyne 910 suturing in an experimental model of a young rat
Article published in Urologia Polska 2006/59/Suplement 1.
- Katedra Chirurgii Dziecięcej, Klinika Chirurgii i Traumatologii Dziecięcej AM w Poznaniu
- Objectives. To evaluate the effects of fibrin sealant application on: surgical managing of kidney incision, healing of the wound, and further development of the operated kidney.
- Materials and methods. Prospective, comparative study in animal experimental model. White Wistar rats 5-7 weeks old were used for the operation. A longitudinal bipolar kidney incision was made in 140 young rats. Fibrin sealant was applied in a group of 70 rats. Control group consisted of 70 rats in which kidney incision was managed with surgical absorbable sutures (Poliglactine 910). In each group two sub-groups verified in the time of the postoperative observation were created (subgroup A: 4 weeks, and subgroup B: 24 weeks). At the end of the observation time intravenous urography, morphologic, and histologic examinations were done. In each group: operation time, haemostasis, intraoperative blood loss, intraoperative and postoperative complications, kidney's growth, morphology and histology of operated kidneys were analyzed.
- Results. In the analyzed group operative time was shorter 325 vs. 403 s. (p<0.000001), blood loss smaller than in the control group (p<0.000001). In postoperative course two rats from the control group died because of secondary hemorrhage. Differences between groups were found in urographic investigations. Statistically significant differences between sutured and sealed kidneys were found in: extension of perirenal adhesions( p<0.000001) for both groups, kidneys' weight: (p<0.05) in group A and (p<0.0001) in group B, longitudinal (p<0.01) and saggital (p<0.001) diameters. Distinct differences were found in histological examinations of specimens from operated kidneys.
- Conclusions. Fibrin sealant application makes operation easier to be performed, profits in shorter operation time and excellent hemostasis. Fibrin sealant positively influences healing process, in comparison to surgical suturing and causes better further growing of operated rat kidney.