CODE: 19 - From longitudinal urethral plate incision to TIP procedure: when praising others you do not know what you have got
Article published in Urologia Polska 2006/59/Suplement 1.
- Katedra i Klinika Chirurgii Dziecięcej i Traumatologii, Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytet im. Mikołaja Kopernika w Toruniu
- Introduction. Tubularized urethral plate urethroplasty was reported for the first time in Urologia Polska (Polish Urology) in 1987, 7 years before Dr Snodgrass report. Although this method was presented during an international conference it failed to receive its recognition as an originally Polish method. Now it is winning its place outside Poland and its authorship is gradually recognized. The operation finds its use in above 70% of all patients operated on for hypospadias.
- The aims of the study. It is to present how the most often quoted and used method in hypospadias surgery was invented and why it failed to find its recognition as a Polish method.
- Material and methods. The natural history of the method was presented as well as efforts to get it recognized as a Polish input in the clinical medicine of today.
- Results. Letters to the editors of the main urological journals have been accepted for publication early this year.
- Conclusions. 1. Any publication in a Polish language journal without being cited, results in considerable decrease in value of this publication. 2. There is un urgent need for promotion of originally Polish achievements in an organized and legally secured way of intellectual property protection.