COLLECTING DUCT CARCINOMA ? CLINICAL, HISTOLOGICAL
AND GENETIC CHARACTERISTIC
Article published in Urologia Polska 1998/51/1.
Marcin Słojewski 1, Andrzej Sikorski 1, Teresa Kardel-Mizerska 1, Piotr Hadaczek 2, Jacek Podolski 2, Jan Lubiński 2, Grażyna Cieślińska-Wilk 3, Barbara Górecka-Szyld 3
- 1 Klinika Urologii Pomorskiej AM w Szczecinie
Kierownik Kliniki: prof. dr hab. A. Sikorski
2 Zakład Patomorfologii i Genetyki Pomorskiej AM w Szczecinie
Kierownik Zakładu: dr hab. J. Lubiński
3 Zakład Radiodiagnostyki PSK nr 2 w Szczecinie
Kierownik Zakładu: prof. dr hab. G. Cieślińska-Wilk
kidney renal neoplasmus collecting duct carcinoma
- Objective. Collecting duct carcinoma (CDC) is a rare form of distal nephron
- renal cancer. CDC originates from the epithelium of the collecting duct.
- Microscopically it is built of papillary structures covered with a single layer of
- cuboidal cells with elernents of fibres and yessels. CDC arises in central, medullar
- part of the kidney irregulary infiltrating cortex. Clinically CDC grows very fast
- with a poor prognosis. Also distant metastases develop fast, local inflitration of
- dorsal muscles and patienfs death occurs much often than in clear cell carcinomas.
- The treatment of choice as in all kidney tumours is radical surgery. Similary, all
- forms of adjuvant therapy e.g. radio and chemotherapy, give poor outcomes. The
- value of immunomodulation therapy has not yet been proved.
- Patients and methods. We present 6 patients with CDC. Patients age was from
- 40 to 73. All patients had a distant metastases in moment of diagnosis. In all cases
- nephrectomy with local limphadenectomy was performed and different forms of
- adjuyant therapy was used. Mean time of survival did not excess 7 months.
- Conclusions. In 2 cases genetic analyse with the techniąue of loss of
- heterozygodity (LOH) was performed. We revealed the deletion of 3rd
- chromosome short arm (3p). Despite the specifity of genetic changes in kidney
- tumours still remains unclear, we conclude that genetic analyse could be useful
- in differentiation of their subtypes and could has a prognostic value.
-  Baer, S. C, Ro, J. Y., Ordonez, N. G., Grignon, D. G., Ayala, A. G.: Sarco-
- matoid collecting duct carcinoma: a Clinicopathologic and immunohistochemi-
- cal study offive cases. Hum. Pathol. 1993, 24, 1017-1022.
-  Dimopoulos, M. A., Logothetis, C. J., Markowitz, A., Sella, A., Amato,
- R., Ro, J.: Collecting duct carcinoma of the kidney. Brit. J. Urol. 1993, 71, 388-391.
-  El-Naggar, A., Batsakis, ]., Wang, G., Lee, M. S.: PCR-based RFLP scre-
- ening of the commonly deleted 3p loci in renal cortical neoplasms. Diagn. Mol.
- Pathol. 1993, 2, 269-276.
-  Fleming, S., Lewi, H. J. E.: Collecting duct carcinoma of the kidney. Histopa-
- thol-ogy 1986, 10, 1131-1141.
-  Ftizesi, L., Cober, M., Mittermayer, C: Collecting duct carcinoma: cytoge-
- netic characterization. Histopathology 1992, 21, 155-160.
-  Hadaczek, P, Podolski, ]., Tołoczko, A., Kurzawski, G., Sikorski, A., Rab-
- bits, P, Huebner, K., Lubiński, J.: Losses at 3p common deletion sites in subtypes of
- kidney tumours: histopathological correlations. Virchows Arch. 1996,429,37-42.
-  Kennedy, S. M., Merino, M. J., Linehan, W. M., Roberts, J. R., Robertson, C.
- N., Neumann, R. D.: Collecting duct carcinoma of the kidney. Hum. Pathol. 1990,
- 21, 449-456.
-  Koikawa, Y., Sakamoto, N., Naito, S., Tanaka, M., Ueda, T., Kumazawa, J.:
- Bellini duct carcinoma of the kidney. Eur. Urol. 1992, 22,171-173.
-  Steiner, G., Cairns, P, Polascik, T. J., Sidransky, D., Schoenberg, M.: Chromoso-
- mal arm lą loss in collecting duct carcinoma: region of minimal deletion at Iq31-
- 32.3. J. Urol. 1996 (suppl.), 155,414A.