Comparalive value of ultrasonography, Computerized tomography
and angiography in the staiging of renal tumors.
Article published in Urologia Polska 1996/49/2.
Marek Wyczółkowski, Bohdan Pawlicki, Marek Filipek, Andrzej Stelmach
- Z Kliniki Urologii Collegium Medicum Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego,
(p.o.) Kierownik Kliniki dr med. Zbigniew Piasecki.
kidney neoplasms diagnosis visual methods.
- A retrospective analysis of patients with renal tumors which were treated at Univer-
- sity Departament of Urology of Jagiellonian University from 1990 to 1994 focusing on
- imaging modalietes as ultrasonography, Computerized tomography and renal angiogra-
- phy was done.
- Patients and methods
- The study group consists of 115 patients. Ultrasonography was performed in all ca-
- ses. Computerized tomography was performed in 106 cases, angiography in 31 cases
- and cavography in 10 cases. We compared diagnostic valuc of this 3 methods in the
- estimation of:
- 1. Local tumor extension beyond the kidney (infiltration of the perirenal fat).
- 2. Evidence of tumor thrombus within the renal vein and/or inferior vena cava.
- 3. Evidence of regional lymph node methastases.
- Local tumor extension was determinated correctly by ultrasonography in 73 per cent
- of the patients, Computerized tomography was almost reliable as ultrasonography and
- was correctly in 69 per cent of the examinations. In contrast the local tumor extension
- was determined correctly by angiography only in 64 per cent of the examinations. Evi-
- dencc of regional lymph node methastases was detennined correctly by ultrasonography
- in 92,2 per cent, in angiography in 87 per cent and in Computerized tomography in 84
- per cent. Evidence of tumor thrombus in the renal vein and/or inferior vena cava was
- detennined correctly by angiography (completed in 10 cases by cavography) in 87 per
- cent of examinations, by ultrasonography in 84,3 per cent and by Computerized tomo-
- graphy in 83 per cent.
- From these results ultrasonography appeares to be an effective, noninvasive, ine-
- xpensive and safe diagnostic procedure of renal tumors. The use of angiography should
- be limited to patients with venous extension.
- 1. Bracken B., Jonsson K.: How accurate is angiographic staging of renal carcinoma?
- Urology, 1979,14,96-99.
- 2. Bugajski A.: System naczyniowy guza, wielkość i lokalizacja jako czynnik progno-
- styczny raka nerki. Urol. Pol., 1994, 1/2, 12 -22.
- 3. Cronan J. J., Zeman R. K., Rosenfeld A. T.: Comparison of Computerized tomogra-
- phy, ultrasound and angiography in staging renal cell carcinoma. J. Urol., 1982, 127,
- 4. Dinney C. P N., Award S. A., Gajewski J. B. Belitsky P i wsp.: Analysis of imaging
- modalities, staging systems and Prognostic indicators for renal cell carcinoma. Uro-
- logy, 1992, 39, 122-129.
- 5. Frohmiiller II. G. W., Grups J. W., Heller V: Comparative value of ultrasonography,
- Computerized tomography, angiography and excretory urography in the staging of
- renal cell carcinoma. J. Urol., 1987, 138, 482-484.
- 6. Fuller N. G., Collins J. P, Walsh W. G.: Inaccuracies in angiographic staging of
- renal cell carcinoma. Urology, 1979, 14, 629-631.
- I. Green B , Goldstein II. M., Weaver R. M.: Abdominal pansonography in the evalua-
- tion of renal cancer. Radiology, 1979, 132,421-423.
- 8. Lang E. K.: Comparison of dynamic and coiwentional computed tomography, angio-
- graphy and ultrasonography in the staging of renal cell carcinoma. Cancer, 1984, 54,
- 9. Robson C. J., Churchill B. M., Anderson W.: The results of nephrectomy for renal
- cell carcinoma. J. Urol., 1969, 101, 297-300.
- 10. Steward B. II., James R., Haaga I, Alfichi R. J.: Urological applications of Compute-
- rized axial tomography: a preliminary report. J. Urol., 1978, 120, 198-201.
- 11. Watson R. C, Flemming R. J., Ewans J. A.: Arteriography in the diagnosis of renal
- carcinoma. Review of 100 cases. Radiology, 1968, 91, 888-91
- 12. Weymann P. /., Mc Clcnnan B. L, Stanley R. J., Levitt R. G., Sagel S. S.: Compari-
- son of computed tomography and angiography in the evaluation of renal cell carcino-
- ma. Radiology, 1980, 137, 417-421.
- 13. Zeman R. K., Cronan J. J., Yiscomi G., Rosenfeld A. T.: Coordinated imaging in the
- detection and characterisation of renal masses. Crit. Rev. Diagn. Imaging, 1981, 15,