CODE: 9.3 - Palliative embolization of renal artery and embolization before planned nephrectomy in patients with advanced renal tumors
Article published in Urologia Polska 2006/59/Suplement 1.
Michał Bryczkowski 1, Zbigniew Wolski 1, Maciej Karolkiewicz 2, Władysław Lasek 2
- 1 Katedra i Klinika Urologii Ogólnej, Onkologicznej i Dziecięcej, Collegium Medicum im. Ludwika Rydygiera w Bydgoszczy, Uniwersytet Mikołaja Kopernika w Toruniu
2 Katedra i Zakład Radiologii i Diagnostyki Obrazowej, Collegium Medicum im. Ludwika Rydygiera w Bydgoszczy, Uniwersytet Mikołaja Kopernika w Toruniu
- Introduction. The method of embolization of renal artery is used in patients with non-operable renal tumor.
- Objectives. Evaluation of usefulness of embolization of renal artery in patients with non-operable renal tumors.
- Materials and methods. In the years 1998-2005 in Radiology Department 63 procedures of renal artery embolization were performed. This 63 patients were treated with the use of this method in case of non-operable renal tumor (cT 3b-4 Nx M1-2). Medium diameter of tumor was 80-175 mm. Mean age of patients was 64 years, there was 17 women and 46 men. Indications for treatment were: palliative treatment in non-operable renal tumors (75% of patients had haematuria) or planned embolization before radical nephrectomy (7 patients). After embolization we observed: subfebrile body temperature and fever (84% of patients), leukocytosis beetwen 14000 to 30.000, all patients - pain in lumbar region, 85% of patients - embolism of femoral artery (2 patients) (3%) - they were operated.
- Results. In all cases after embolization haematuria was found. Nephrectomy was much easier to perform in 7 patients who had preoperative embolization. Currently 6 patients are alive. All of them had palliative embolisation.. The observation time was 1-24 months. The longest survival time was 24 months - a patient only after embolization of renal artery.
- Conclusions. Embolization of renal artery stops bleeding from the non-operable renal tumors and after this treatment the nephrectomy can be easily performed.