CODE: 7.2 - Does the time between prostatic biopsy and radical prostatectomy influence the result of postoperative histological examination
Article published in Urologia Polska 2006/59/Suplement 1.
Zofia Krauze-Balwińska 1, Wiesława Bartnik 2, Mieczysław Fryczkowski 1, Andrzej Paradysz 1, Maciej Szczębara 1
- 1 Katedra i Klinika Urologii w Zabrzu ¦l±skiej Akademii Medycznej w Katowicach
2 Zakład Analityki i Biochemii Klinicznej Centrum Onkologii, Oddział w Gliwicach
- The aim of the study. The aim of the study was to establish if there is any relation between the time from prostatic biopsy to radical prostatectomy and the result of postoperative examination.
- Materials and methods. Retrospective analysis of medical history of 38 patients with prostate cancer treated with radical prostatectomy was done. Age, the Gleason score of biopsy specimens and postoperative materials and the time between biopsy and surgery were analysed.
- Results. In the studied group the mean time between prostatic biopsy and radical prostatectomy was 72 days (36-300). The smallest difference in Gleason score was observed in patients treated with radical prostatectomy within two months since the biopsy was done (1-2 points). The biggest difference in Gleason score was observed in patients treated with radical prostatectomy 3 months or later after prostate biopsy (3-5 points).
- Conclusions. It is important to perform radical prostatectomy in short time after prostate biopsy when CaP was diagnosed.