A COMPARATIVE STUDY THE COST
OF TREATMENT ON BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA
BY VISUAL LASER ABLATION AND INTERSTITIAL LASER
COAGULATION VERSUS TRANSURETHRAL RESECTION
Article published in Urologia Polska 1999/52/1.
Wojciech Pypno, Wojciech Husiatyński
- Klinika Urologii CMKP w Warszawie
Kierownik Kliniki: prof. dr hab. med. A. Borówka
prostate BPH laser ablation interstitial laser coagulation transurethral resection cost
- Objective. Authors achieved a comparative study the cost of treatment on
- benign prostatic hyperplasia using Nd: YAG laser by visual ablation (VLAP)
- and interstitial coagulation (ILCP) versus transurethral resection (TURP).
- Material and methods. We have investigated the cost of treatment 259
- patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. 147 patients with laser procedure
- were performed; 117 ? VLAP, 30 ? ILCP. 112 were treated by transurethral
- resection. Patients treated by VLAP and ILCP formed common group,
- because the cost both methods was just the same. The second group was
- done on patients treated by TURP. The costs of the all components were as:
- amortization of the durable apparatuses, costs of exchangeable instruments,
- anaesthesia, medicines, the blood transfusion, hospitalization and payments
- of medical staff. The average cost of each procedure from last quarter of 1996
- was counted.
- Results. The price of medical instruments necessary for laser treatment
- was'manifold higher than these of TURP. The cost of hospitalization and
- medicines was distinctly higher in TURP group. The expense for the laser
- procedure was finally counted as 1880 zł and for transurethral resection as
- 810 zł.
- Conclusions. The treatment cost of benign prostatic hyperplasia in Poland
- using Nd: YAG laser is about twice higher than transurethral resection.
-  Daughtry, J. D., Rodan, B. A.: Transurethral laser resection of the prostate.
- J. Clin. Lasers Med. Surg. 1992,10, 269-274.
-  Gottfried, H. W., Hautmann, R. E.: European eiperience of laser treatment of
- BPH. Urology Int. 1996,3,13.
-  Holtgrewe,.H. L., Ackerman, R., Bay-Neilson, H., Boyce, P., Carlsson,
- P., Coast, ]., Frohneberg, D. H., Mazeman, E., Standaert, B., Tajima, A.,
- Thibault, P., Viens-Bitker, C: Economics of BPH. W: The third international
- consultation on benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Red. A. T. K. Cockett, S. Kho-
- ury, Y. Aso, C. Chatelain, L. Denis, K. Griffiths, G. Murphy. Paryż 1996,51-70.
-  Jackson, T., Street, A., Costello, A., Crowe, H.: Cost-effectweness of laser
- ablation of the prostate. Premature evaluation. Intern. J. Technology Assess. in
- Health Care 1995,11, 595-610.
-  Kabalin, J. N., Butler, E. D.: Costs o fminimally invasive laser surgery compared
- with transurethral electrocautery resection of the prostate. West. J. Med. 1995,162,
-  McNicholas, T. A.: Lasers for prostatic surgery: a review. Urology Int. 1997,4,
-  Pypno, W., Husiatański, W.: Przezcewkowa ablacja laserowa stercza; cztery lata
- doświadczeń. Urol. Pol. 1998, 51, 236-243.
-  Pypno, W., Husiatyński, W.: Laserowa śródmiąższowa koagulacja stercza. Urol.
- Pol. 1998, 51, 244-251.