Tomasz Demkow, Grzegorz Madej
- Klinika Nowotworów Układu Moczowego
Centrum Onkologii - Instytutu w Warszawie
Kierownik Kliniki: prof. dr hab. G. Madej
penis cancer treatment
- Introduction. The number of newly diagnosed cases of penis cancer in
- Poland was 161 in 1994.
- Aim of the study. The study was aimed of assessing the results of surgical
- treatment of penis carcinoma.
- Material and method. In Oncology Center in Warsaw there were 39 men
- operated because of penis carcinoma. 12 of them had circumcision, in 18 cases
- partial amputation was performed and in 9 patients total amputation was
- done. In 17 patients inguinal lymphadenctomy was performed. The
- pathological stage of the lesion after the surgery was fund to be: pTis - 1
- patient, pTl - 20 patients, pT2 14 patients and pT3 - 4 patients. In 11 cases
- maetastatic involvement of inguinal lymph nodes was found.
- Results: The average time between the noting by the patient of the penile
- lesion and seeking medical help was 13 months and surgical treatment was
- performed 15 months later. 4 patients died and 3 patients had local reccurence.
- Prolonged lymphatic discharge from the wound was the most fre±uent
- complication of the surgery.
- Conclusions: More advanced pathological stage of the disease is associated
- with the increase of fre±uency of metastases to local lymph nodes. The average
- time beween observation of the penile lesion and surgical treatment was 15
- months. Lymphatic discharge from the wound was constituted the most
- fre±uent complication of the surgery.
-  Beegs, J. H., Spjratt, J. S.: Epidermal carcinoma of the penis. J. Urol., 1964,91,166-
-  DeKernion, J. B., Tymbery, R, Persky, L., Fegen, J. R: Carcinoma of the penis.
- Cancer, 1973, 32, 1256-1261.
-  Fossa, S. D., Hall, K. S. et all.: Carcinoma of the penis. Experience at Nornegian
- Radium Hospital 1974-1985. Eur. Urol., ml987,13, 372-377.
-  Fraley, E. E., Zhang, G., Manivel, C. Niehans, G. A.: The role of inguinal lympha-
- denectomy and significance of histological differentiation in treatment of carcinoma
- of the penis.J. Urol, 1989,142,1478-1482.
-  Horenblas, S. Tinteren, H., Delemarre, J. F. M, Moonen, L. M. F. Et all.: S±uamous
- cell carcinoma of the penis. Ul. Treatment of regional lymph nodes. J. Urol., 1933,149,
-  McDougal, W. S., Kirchner, F. K., et all: Treatment of carcinoma of the penis: The
- case of primary lymphadenectomy. J. Urol., 1986,136, 38-42.
-  Shellhamer, P. R: Penile cancer. W: Clinical Urology. Krane R. J. J. B. Lippincott
- Company, Philadelphia, 1994, 1259-1263.
-  Skinner, D. G., Leadbetter, W. F, Kelley, S. B.: The surgical management of s±uamo-
- us cell carcinoma of the penis.J. Urol., 107, 273,1972-1977.
-  Srining, V., Morse, M. ]., Herr, H. W. et all.: Penile cancer. Relation ofextent ofnodal
- metastasis to survival. J. Urol. 1987,137, 880-884.
-  Zatoński, W., Tyczyński, J.: Nowotwory zło¶liwe w Polsce w 1994 roku. Centrum
- Onkologii - Instytut im Marii Skłodowskiej Curie, Warszawa 1994.
- [U] Zieliński, J. Leńko, }.: Urologia. Warszawa, 1993, Tom II, Państwowy Zakład
- Wydawnictw Lekarskich, 465-467.